- President Bush's statement on US Aid being offered and how more would be available in Burma let the disaster assessment teams into the country.
- First Lady Laura Bush's statement on the tragedy and aid (much more detail)
- UN news release with links to groups offering assistance
- NASA web imagery of the cyclone and the aftermath
- Mynamar/Burma guide (provides links to the government web pages, where there is little discussion of what is happening
- "60,000 Dead or Missing in Burma: Bush Offers Navy Units as Aid Begins to Reach Rangoon" from the Washington Post
Tuesday, May 06, 2008
Cyclone Nargis hit the country of Myanmar (known as Burma by the US government) on May 3, 2008. This cyclone has devastated the area of Burma home to the previous capital of Rangoon. Currently 60,000 people are estimated missing or dead in the region. To learn more check out these resources: