Monday, December 17, 2007

Chinook (the catalog and the wind)

When waiting for my bus, as my fellow Boulderites may have noticed, I realized today's wind seems almost warm. Okay, not take off my jacket and run around in short sleeves warm, but despite the snow on the ground I actually didn't need to breath through my scarf.

What brings about this warm wind you ask? Well, today's wind is called the Chinook (if you live in the Rocky Mountains) or the foehn elsewhere. The Chinook, as you can read about in this definition, actually warms the air. So despite the fact that the wind is high (with gusts in the 20 to 30 mph range), the weather today will be moderate and we may even hit the 50s! These pleasant winds are also the namesake of the library's catalog.

Want to learn more? Check out these resources on Boulder's wind events:
Still want more climate and weather information? Check out the library's guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment